Last year I took part in a great creative project: Index Card A Day (you might remember me sharing my first few index cards here on the blog last summer!). With the project gearing up to start again, I wanted to chat about my experience and get my thoughts together in readiness for this year!
Index Card A Day (ICAD for short) is hosted by art journaler extraordinaire Tammy from Daisy Yellow Art. The premise is a simple one – create something on an index card every day during June and July. The something can be anything you like: a drawing, doodle, painting, poem, calligraphy, art journal, collage or anything else you fancy!
I found it to be a very freeing process and while I didn’t complete all of the 61 days and 61 cards (I think I made it to about 30!) I am really looking forward to giving it a go again this year and carving out some time each day to just play. As the project went on, I found myself revisiting the same shapes and ideas and playing with new colours and patterns. I had a circles and lines phase:
And a circle / flower phase:
Which led to a short-lived black and white phase (I couldn’t resist colour for very long!):
And finally, a geometric intersecting straight lines sort of a phase inspired by patterns I used to make as a child – where you scribble over a sheet of paper and colour in the resulting shapes in a rainbow of colours:
And when I knocked my stack of index cards over on my desk (and then artfully tweaked the positioning for a quick photo!) they looked like this:
Lots of yummy colour and pattern!
I used various pens and markers that were lying around my studio for this project, for me it was more about experimenting with colour and line than using any particular products. Having said that, I always enjoy discovering what materials other artists have used so here’s a quick list of what I used to decorate these index cards!*
- Silvine 6×4 plain white index cards – any index or record cards will work (whether they’re coloured, white, ruled, plain or tabbed) I just happened to pick up a pack of these ones! I will be using these again this year until I run out of cards and then I might try something different.
- Posca Paint pens – opaque paint pens that I don’t get the chance to use very often in my day-to-day work but that I LOVE to play with! Amazon UK | Amazon USA
- Koi Brush pens – water-based pens that give a lovely textured colour Amazon UK | Amazon USA
- Promarker pens – my go-to markers for my design work, great for creating both flat washes of colour and textured / layered effects Amazon UK | Amazon USA
- Staedtler Triplus fineliners – great for adding tiny bits of detail here and there over other layers of colour Amazon UK | Amazon USA
Black and white :
- Sakura Gelly Roll medium gel pen (white) Amazon UK | Amazon – USA
- Uni-ball Signo pen (white) Amazon UK | Amazon USA
- Pigma Micron fine liners (black) Amazon – UK | Amazon – USA
- Uni-Pin fineliners (black) Amazon – UK | Amazon – USA
- Rotring ArtPen (black) Amazon – UK | Amazon USA
I’ll be sharing my cards again over on Instagram and in the ICAD Facebook group. I hope you’ll come and join me and play along too!
* Please note there are affiliate links in this blog post. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!