Hello! I’m Sara, and I’ve had the pleasure of working with Kate over the past couple of years making printable goodies for her store, with lots & lots of her gorgeous doodles 🙂
Recently, Kate asked if I would like to put together a series of hybrid tutorials to share with you via her blog and of course I said yes! I thought I’d start with something sweet and simple: a pillow box. I think most of you will be familiar with pillow boxes, so I figured this would be the ideal starting point to tempt you all to try your hand at making something hybrid!
Hybrid isn’t something to worry about – really, really! It literally means taking the digital goodies from your hard drive, printing them out & making something with them, whether a card, calendar or box.
I promise that you’ll only need the very basic of tools too:
- your printer
- adhesive (I use double sided craft tape in this tutorial)
- something to cut out with (scissors or a craft blade – I tend to use both)
- something to score/ crease & fold with (a score board would be lovely, but even a butter knife & ruler will do the trick)
- maybe some ribbon or other pretty embellishment if you wish
At the end of this post, you’ll find a link to a download, which includes this how-to-make, the 12x12in paper I made with Kate’s designs plus a ready-to-print pillow box, which will look something like this when assembled:
So let’s get started:
- Print the pillow box onto card or heavy photo paper & cut out.
I tend use a combination of a craft knife (with a metal ruler as my guide) & scissors to cut out, as I find I cut straighter lines with a knife and ruler. Scissors & a steady hand would do the job just as well though!
- Score/ crease all the faint, dashed guidelines on the box. The curves are the trickiest parts to score, but just take your time & you’ll be fine!
To score straight lines, I use a scoreboard & bone folder as you can see in the photo, but you can use a bone folder & ruler or even such as a butter knife & ruler to do this – just remember to protect your fingers & work surface! Scoreboards & bone folders are readily available from craft shops and are a very useful tool to have if you enjoy making hybrid goodies such as this!
- Gently bend & pinch the curved sides into shape.
- Apply adhesive (I tend to use double sided craft tape) where indicated on the design, and stick to the plain inside of the opposite side, forming the pillow box shape.
- Fold one end of the pillow box in. Add your gift to the box & then close up the other end.
- Optional: Add your tag and/or any other form of embellishment you like, such as ribbon, glitter or blooms.
Finally, here is the download I promised!
I hope you have enjoyed this first “How to Make” hybrid tutorial and if any one has any requests for future hybrid tutorials, then please just ask!